Friday, October 29, 2010

The beginning

Thought I would start a blog about my race car.

First a little history. I have owned 914's of various kinds for roughly 30 years. Don't ask me why. They sure can be a PIA from time to time. Nevertheless, I keep coming back for more. In the last 10 or 15 years I have become more and more involved in high performance driving. Started autocrossing, went on to driver education events, and now, racing. I race primarily local amateur racing at our local track (Hallett Motor Racing Circuit) and Porsche Club of America(PCA) club races at various tracks around the country. Enough about me.

My current vehicle is a race prepared 1971 Porsche 914/4. Which just happens to be yellow. No, it's not a 6. Just a 4. But truly, it is a special little car. Above is a fairly current picture of the car. I have owned or co-owned this car for about 5 or 6 years now. It is a blast to drive. Handles extremely well and is very quick...even fast. Not cup car fast, but fast just the same.

Some stats: 1971 914 with fiberglass fenders, decklids and bumpers. Weighs about 1750 lbs. without driver. Motor is a 2.27 liter Porsche 4 with carbs. Has a integrated fire system that has spray nozzles in the engine compartment, passenger compartment and front trunk fuel cell location. Full custom built roll cage. Wheels are Fuchs 7 x 16" all the way around. Lexan windshield and plexiglass side and rear windows.

The car just completed it's last race of this year and performed admirably. It will see at least 1 more autocross this year but probably won't see a track again until February or March 2011.

In the "off season", we'll be working to tweak the newly installed motor - which already has a couple of race events and several autocrosses on it. Working on the car setup, and taking the car to a frame shop to get a slight alignment issue addressed. Hopefully it'll be ready to rock 'n roll in 2011.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment